Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quickly squashed victory...

Before I disappeared for 2 weeks I was telling you about our plate pattern picking pickle, and how it was difficult for us to find plates that met his traditional and practical expectations with my modern and quirky preferances.

We spent much time in the past few weeks visiting every department store known to Chicagoland in search of something that we could compromise on. Kohls, Target, Macys, and others were no help at all. We spent close to two hours discussing plate options at Bed, Bath and Beyond and had narrowed it down to two potential winners:

Lenox Vibe (from the first post) which quotes its self as being a "bold and modern porcelain dinnerware will be a striking addition to your table, with its crisp white foundation and whimsical swirling lines. A perfect accompaniment to any casual or formal gathering"

...and Misto Linen, described as "Cool and casual, the subtle neutral tones of this ceramic dinnerware is just the thing your table needs for everyday dining needs."



KJ prefered the Misto Linen and I liked Lenox Vibe. I actually like Misto Linen too, I felt like it was a nice place to start and could be paired with lots of different kitchen items, but I had never heard of the brand. After a little google research, I found it chipped easily and broke even easier... not a good thing for this self-proclaimed butter fingers.

This was Saturday. Sunday, I had proposed going to another BBB to see if they had any other options on display, but KJ convinced me to go someplace we hadn't been yet. So off to Kohls and Carsons we went.

At Carson's we spent another hour discussing what we absolutly had to have in plates. One thing I can't go without... a decently sized coffee cup. We had narrowed our Carson's finds from a field of many, to four contenders, and then down to two.

#1 - Noritake Colorwave


#2 - Dansk Tronada Creama

It wasn't too hard for us to make the decision that Dansks Tronada was our perfect pattern! I mean, it means "tornado" in Spanish for heavens sake. How could I, who LOVES storms, storm chasers, and everything doing with tornados, not fall in love?? Plus, it blends what KJ and I both want perfectly.

Of course, it couldn't be that easy. There was a jinky SALE sign next to the pattern (you'd think the Sale sign would be good news, right?), and nothing that actually identified the plates as part of a set. I flipped the dish over and found out the name and brand and left compleatly satisfied. Surely, we could just add it to our existing Macy's registry and not have to create another registry just for plates. Upon going home and logging into Macys I found that the only "Tronada" items Macys website offered was a three piece serving set and some glasses.

I remembered our Registry Assistant, Judith (who buy the way is AWESOME if you need to register at the Aurora Macys), said that often the online offerings varied from what the store carried. So I called Judith and asked her to look up the name to find if we could added it to our list....

But we couldn't. Macys, although carrying the brand, does not have the pattern available.

And everyplace that does offer it, says its out of stock.

So, I'm guessing our perfect pattern, is everyone elses perfect pattern too.

I feel its of no use to register for something that would be increadibly difficult for people to find, so we are back to square one, with no possible plates in site.

Who would have thought that the most time consuming task and most difficult compromise KJ and I would have to make was on what dishes we would register for? I guess I should be thankful that everything else has been rather easy. For those of you married or getting married, what has been your hardest planning task?

No comments:

Post a Comment