Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Styling my Celebration: color palette

It occurred to me the other day that I have never really explained the basics of my reception. My vision, what mood I'm trying to portray, etc. Basically, what am I trying to accomplish with all this fussing and finding?

The short answer: a "Formal yet Fun" occasion that showcases our conventional, yet lighthearted and silly, selves.

"Formal but fun" is how I would describe my dress, and that's where it all started. I wanted a dress that was traditional and beautiful, yet something that had character. Then came the wedding colors. There are actually two version's of the wedding color story. The first is 100% true and the second, while still true, is a little less embarrassing. You see, I saw a picture of this tie when I was harmlessly browsing the knot.com many years back (come on ladies, we all have visited the knot plenty of times, sans engagement rings) It was love at first sight and started my obsession with Navy and Pink

top row, third image from the left

When I actually was in the position to think about my wedding colors (and have it not be part of a daydream) I knew pink would play some part and it's obvious partner in crime would be black. However, I was leery that pink and black could take on a rocker chic look rather quickly and that's when Navy came into the picture. A darker formal color like black, but something that was just a little bit "more" than your normal black. The pink and navy combo seemed to fit the formal but fun theme, all while embracing a preppy, clean, and lighthearted wit about itself!

Since the original "tie" picture, I've found many more Navy and Pink images that have made their way into my heart - check out some of these inspiration photos

pretty programs

fantasy table scape


hot pink/medium pink with navy combo

and so concludes the story of how my navy and pink "formal yet fun" wedding came to be.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a lover of Navy as well since wedding planning started. Navy and yellow make me swoon! Although the BM dresses we chose don't come in Navy so I had to compromise and do a blue and yellow instead.

    Love striped ties as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen awesome pictures of Blue and Yellow weddings with big sunflower bouquets! It's also a great combo - such a happy pairing!

    ReplyDelete