Tuesday, March 2, 2010

miniMOON

So, it's pretty much decided that we will be postponing an official Honeymoon till a few months after the wedding so that we can save up a little money and make the trip one of the ages. While I am not a huge fan of this idea, I understand saving and being able to pay for the honeymoon so we don't go into debt. In exchange, I've set out a few guidelines to our postponed honeymoon including the stipulation that it must be taken no later than April 2011, must involve a spot with palm trees and a balmy sun, and preferably a location out of this country. Now, that being said, I'm not going to go through this whole planning ordeal without looking forward to some type of R&R after August 14th. The idea of taking a few day "minimoon" came across and it seemed like a good idea.

A few of the initial thoughts on locations include places accessible in a day's drive: Mackinaw Island, Door County, Nashville, and a staycation in Chicago. So I started looking into Mackinaw Island and Door County today, and I am sick to my stomach. All I've seen are family-friendly, floral wall paper, baby bunny decorated, old-fashion bed and breakfast type of places that are making me queasy!!! NOTHING about this says "romantic minimoon". No chic hotels, yummy trendy restaurants to experiment at, spa's to enjoy a couples massage, or sandy beach (sans mosquito's) beckoning me to lie upon my newly gifted Martha Stewart beach towels.


Now I know I'm not going to get tropical rum drinks on this minimoon, but "OH!" the disappointment and FEAR I'm feeling regarding this option when the list of room amenities includes items like "white picket fence room trim" and "ceiling fan"...


...rather than valet parking, plush bathrobes, flat screen tv, and luxourious linens.
I'm not a country girl, I don't like camping, bugs and lakes creep me out, majorly. While I enjoy escaping to places like this occasionally, this is totally NOT what I've envisioned for our minimoon. Needless to say, I'm not giving up my tropical paradise daydreams just yet. Mackinaw Island and Door County... I'm moving on. I'm going to look into Nashville next. While there isn't the beautiful coast that Lake Michigan provides, at least there are some "Luxury" hotel
options (and after looking at what most of the options "up north" are, Hampton Inn looks luxury). Oh my goodness, wish me luck...

1 comment:

  1. hey you could do what my sister did and register for things in your honey moon. i thought it was a great idea! they got most of their honeymoon paid for because they already had a shit load of stuff from living together! love ya shan

    ReplyDelete