Sunday, February 21, 2010

Here is the church... Here is the steeple...

Major wedding update: we booked our church today!

For someone who is insanely indecisive I was amazed that I pretty much had my mind up before we ever got to the church. Before I reveal where we will be saying our I Do's... let me show you where we were thinking about.

#1 - Wheeler Park, Geneva


Wheeler Park is this massive park in Geneva and includes the Geneva Senior Center. You can't tell from this picture, but the back of the building has this brick courtyard and 2 lines of trees stretching out from the courtyard that makes the most beautiful natural aisle. The down sides to Wheeler Park that in addition to thinking we would be married at the "senior center" is that fact its a park an there are not the nicest bathroom facilities. Plus, outside in August is a big risk, it could be crazy hot and humid and that would make everyone cranky.

#2 - Hilton Garden Inn Courtyard


For the all inclusive wedding, the Hilton where our reception is also has this cute little courtyard we can use for the ceremony. This issue here, as my wise fiance points out, is that with the air conditioners from the rooms facing the courtyard it would make it very difficult for the guests to hear! Also... I have plans for this little courtyard - I'd love to turn it into a Lumiere filled spot where reception guests can go to take a break from the food and fun inside.

#3 - Baker Methodist Church, St. Charles


Just down the road from the Hilton Garden Inn is this historic stone Methodist church that takes my breath away every time I drive buy it. Climate controlled for August and picturesque, this building was one of this firsts that came to mind when I got to start planning my wedding. There are some MAJOR turn offs however. #1: No Secular Music. This is a BIG issue for me... not that there is anything against sacred music, but as the wedding should reflect upon the couple, how can you limit the musician side of KJ and Me to a few Bach cantatas and vocal arias. Blah, no thanks, I get enough of that at work. #2: This mega building came with a mega price tag. So much so, we would have to cut back on about 20 guests to afford it.

and with no further ado, I give you our ceremony location:

The Congregational United Church of Christ, St. Charles

A 15 minute drive from the Hilton, this church has it all! It has a fairly open music policy, and the Reverend Susan Daley, who we have requested as our minister, is extraordinary. Not to mention the sanctuary is beautiful! There is the main section that seats about 150, and a small balcony for an additional 50 people. The dark green carpet is set off by a brightly colored wood and white decor. There are stained glass windows along the top of the sanctuary for plenty of natural light. I told KJ earlier today that it was really more than what I was expecting, and it really is perfect.

I'm so excited for this step of the wedding planning. It's been an interesting road to this point. Neither KJ or I being very religious has made having a wedding at a church or in a more general place an interesting discussion topic. While I recognize that being married in a church while not "religious" is offensive to some, I want to say that both of us have a sense of spirituality which is something that I think can be portrayed through a church ceremony more accurately than a wedding located outside a house of worship.

I am so very excited and can't wait for more planning as we head into March!!

No comments:

Post a Comment